Full Service Compliant Intelligent Mail™ Required for January 2014
Beginning in January 2014, the USPS will require all mail pieces claiming automation presort discounts to be ‘Full Service’ compliant. A mail piece meeting the Full Service requirement will have the following characteristics:
- All addresses used must be cleansed with CASS certified software and must be processed with an approved Move Update solution.
- Have an Intelligent Mail™ Barcode printed on the mail piece.
- The Intelligent Mail™ Barcode will contain the mailer ID and a unique sequence number that will not be reused for 45 days.
- Intelligent Mail™ Barcode tray and sack labels containing the mailer ID and a unique sequence number that will not be reused for 45 days.
- If containers (such as pallets) are used they must be labeled with an Intelligent Mail™ Barcode label containing the mailer ID and a unique sequence number that will not be reused for 45 days.
- Postal documentation must be submitted electronically (eDocs). For mailings of less than 10,000 pieces, mailers may use the Postal Wizard on the Business Customer Gateway. For any size mailing, Mail.XML™ or Mail.dat® can be used to submit documentation electronically.
- Appointments must be scheduled using the USPS Facility Access Shipment Tracking (FAST) scheduling system found on the Business Customer Gateway.
There are a number of steps that must be taken before a mailer can produce Full Service mailings. The process can take several weeks so mailers are encouraged to begin as soon as possible. By transitioning sooner rather than later, mailers will be able to take advantage of the additional Full Service discount and will be ready when January 2014 arrives.
SmartMailer has Mail.XML™ built into it so there is no need to purchase additional software. With AddressRight Pro, it is necessary to purchase the eDocs add-on if you are unable to use the Postal Wizard.
The guides below will help SmartMailer and AddressRight Pro mailers in making a smooth transition.