Full Service Compliance: the Latest Information
Full Service Compliance – 2014 Rate Change & Beyond
SmartMailer and AddressRight Pro customers will receive the February update mid to late January. This update contains rates for the CPI rate increase approved by the Postal Regulatory Commission in December. This update should not be installed until mailers are ready to produce mailings under the new rates.
There is the possibility that an exigent rate increase will be approved and supersede the CPI rate increase. Should this occur, a live update will be provided via the Internet to update SmartMailer & AddressRight Pro installations to the new rates. Before doing the first mailing after January 26th, be sure to check for a live update to make sure the correct rates are loaded into the software.
In December 2013, the Postal Regulatory Commission ruled that the USPS could not require Full Service for automation discounts without modifying the proposed rates. For this reason, the USPS decided to delay the Full Service requirement until at least 2015. What should mailers do now? Pitney Bowes recommends that mailers pursue implementing Full Service as soon as possible. There is no doubt that it will be required at some point and there is no benefit in delaying implementation. Full Service discounts of three tenths of a cent for First Class Mail and one tenth of a cent for Standard Mail are still available. Implementing now will insure that you will not miss out on automation discounts when the Full Service requirement goes into effect.
A mail piece meeting the Full Service requirements will have the following characteristics:
- All addresses used must be cleansed with CASS certified software and must be processed with an approved Move Update solution.
- Have an Intelligent Mail™ Barcode printed on the mail piece.
- The Intelligent Mail™ Barcode will contain the mailer ID and a unique sequence number that will not be reused for 45 days.
- Intelligent Mail™ Barcode tray and sack labels containing the mailer ID and a unique sequence number that will not be reused for 45 days.
- If containers (such as pallets) are used they must be labeled with an Intelligent Mail™ Barcode label containing the mailer ID and a unique sequence number that will not be reused for 45 days.
- Postal documentation must be submitted electronically (eDocs). For mailings of less than 10,000 pieces, mailers may use the Postal Wizard on the Business Customer Gateway. For any size mailing, Mail.XML™ or Mail.dat® can be used to submit documentation electronically.
- Appointments must be scheduled using the USPS Facility Access Shipment Tracking (FAST) scheduling system found on the Business Customer Gateway.
There are a number of steps that must be taken before a mailer can produce Full Service mailings. The process can take several weeks so mailers are encouraged to begin as soon as possible. By transitioning sooner rather than later, mailers will be able to take advantage of the additional Full Service discount and will be ready when the Full Service requirement goes into effect.
SmartMailer has Mail.XML™ built-in so there is no need to purchase additional software. With AddressRight Pro, it is necessary to purchase the electronic documentation add-on if you are unable to use the Postal Wizard.
The guides below will help SmartMailer and AddressRight Pro mailers in making a smooth transition.