What is a rate update?
When the USPS® or another carrier changes its rates, your Pitney Bowes meter, mailing, and shipping products need to be updated to reflect these changes. We package the new data for delivery to your product so you can ensure the correct postage and postal standards are being applied. The find out the latest information, visit our USPS Announcements page.
This process includes:
- perform an update with the new rate data for you to download to your meter
- manufacture new rate cards to replace the old card for your meters and for Integra scales (order via the Online Store)
- creating an update with the current postal rate data for your mailing system products
When do I need to perform the rates update?
Although carriers such as the USPS announce rate changes months in advance, the actual rate data does not become available until 1 - 2 weeks prior to the effective date of the change. This is because the carriers must submit changes to the Postal Regulatory Commission for approval. This approval process can take up to 90 days.
- You can download and install the new rates as soon as they become available. The new rates are then programmed; however, they are not activated until the official effective date, established by the USPS.
- If your equipment is registered within My Account, or if you sign up for email notifications at Rates and Software Updates, you will receive an email to notifiy you of upcoming rate changes, when the new rates are expected, and when they become available.
What is a USPS ZIP/Zone update?
The USPS periodically makes changes to Zones and ZIP Codes. Your Pitney Bowes product must be updated to reflect these changes, ensuring your mail is posted correctly. ZIP code and Zone updates are always posted on our website and may be emailed to customers who are located in the affected areas. For instructions and information:
- Operational Changes Related to Rate Change Updates - includes guides by model and ZIP Code information
- Understanding Postal ZIP Zones and Zone Charts
What is a software download and when do I need to download?
Pitney Bowes mailing systems operate on an embedded set of software instructions. Software downloads refer to updates that keep your Pitney Bowes product current with operational enhancements and features. Software is identified by a version number and varies according to your system.
When you connect to the Pitney Bowes Data Center to add postage or perform other transactions, the Data Center will detect if an update is necessary. The screen will display a message; e.g., Update Required or Inspection Due. When this happens, perform the update as soon as possible. Otherwise, you will be notified -- usually by email -- that a software update is needed. It is recommended to always have the latest version of software available for your meter model type.
What is a meter Preset/default setting?
A preset is a snapshot of commonly used meter settings that allow you to easily recall the properties you use most often. Assigning a preset, such as First-Class letter, saves time and ensures accuracy in your mailings. Learn how to use presets on your meter.