What is a rate update?
When the USPS or any other carrier changes its rates, your Pitney Bowes meter needs to be updated to reflect the change. Pitney Bowes packages the new information for delivery to your mailing equipment so you can ensure the correct postage is being used.
This process includes:
- Updating and installing the new rate data on your PB meter through a connection with the Pitney Bowes Data Center
- Updating and installing the new rate data on your Integra scale with rate card (PROM) media
- Updating and installing the new rate data on your shipping system with a CD ROM or DVD.
When do I need to perform the rates update?
Although carriers may announce rate changes months in advance, the actual rate data is usually only available for update 1 to 2 weeks prior to the effective date of the rate change. You can download and install the new rate data as soon as they become available because the new rates are programmed not to become active until the rate change effective date. If your equipment is registered with My Account, you will receive automatic notifications when new rates are expected and when they become available.
What is a software download?
Pitney Bowes mailing systems operate on an embedded set of instructions called software. Software downloads, refer to regular updates that ensure your Pitney Bowes product is up-to-date with operational enhancements and features. Your meter is updated with the latest software version through a connection with the Pitney Bowes Data Center. Software is identified by a version number and will vary according to your system.
When do I need to perform the software download?
When you connect to the Pitney Bowes Data Center to add postage or perform other transactions, the Data Center will detect if an update is necessary and will display a message (e.g., Update Required or Update Available). When this happens, you should perform the update as soon as possible. Otherwise, you will be notified, usually by email that a software update is needed.
What is a meter preset/default setting?
Presets are properties on your meter, such as postage rate and class, that you can define, store and recall as needed. You can define two types of presets: Normal and Custom.
- Normal Preset: Normal presets are the default conditions on your meter. You can't delete a normal preset, but you can assign commonly used postage rates, class, and other settings as default values. The Class setting, in addition to identifying your mail type, helps automate the preset process for future rate data changes.
- Custom Presets: Parameters for special mailings can be stored as Custom Presets. You can define up to ten custom settings to be used for these mailing situations.
Do I need to change the preset/default setting on my meter?
If you've set up the meter with Presets (ex: Class: USPS Dom 1stReg Letter), the Presets will update automatically on the effective date of the rate change. However, if you Key In Postage (KIP) manually or your meter is not set to a class (Class: None) you will need to update your meter manually on the effective date of the rate change.
Can I see rate change and software update information that is specifically related to our equipment?
What is a USPS ZIP/Zone update?
The USPS periodically makes changes to Zones and ZIP codes. When they do, your PB product must be updated to reflect these changes to ensure your mail is posted correctly. ZIP code and Zone updates are always posted on our website and may be emailed to customers who are located in the affected areas. Learn more…